September 16, 2010

Sleepless in Las Vegas

It's been 24 hours or so since Oreily came home. She wanted to write in HER blog but she's sleeping (again) so I must do it for her.  We've had a good day...after a fairly good night. But first, her homecoming. Judy and the girls and I had an uneventful trip back from Albuquerque. We stopped in Santa Fe at McDonald's and ate at a picnic bench under a nice shade tree nearby and the pups got to get out of their kennels and "hurry"...they were happy to get to stretch their legs again and not so happy to go back into their kennels. But we managed to get them in and head home. A bit of whining and howling and talking as we drove (the pups, not Judy and me) but after leaving SF they pretty much slept.
      Gene and Levi were waiting for us and the introduction of pup to the old guy (Levi is 10) went well. Levi has always been very social and had a lot of dogs visiting so I didn't expect much trouble. Lots of sniffing and checking each other out but they have settled down and seem to be liking each other. Oreily, of course, has all that puppy energy and Levi is pretty good at keeping up with her to a certain point. They play and then Oreily drops into a sleep and Levi breathes a sigh of relief and takes a nap too.
    Oreily slept from 10 pm until 2 a.m. last night and then we went outside to "hurry". Let me tell you, the stars at night in New Mexico are brilliant and big..the only redeeming thing about taking dogs out (oh, yes, Levi went along) in the middle of the night. No coyotes howling either and it was cool and quiet. Then back to sleep and up at 6:30 a.m. which was pretty good. I think I'm more exhausted than they are.
   Today was fine...a couple of inside potty accidents but nothing major. Mostly she is learning where her leash is and where the door is to outside.  She's so funny to watch with those big Lab puppy paws and long legs but not always the greatest coordination. She's learned to go (sometimes just one big jump) down the step pretty well but coming up into the house is still "in process"....she follows Levi all over and is learning those things from him.
    Reily is eating her food just fine and has discovered all the water bowls around the kitchen and the one in our bedroom. She and Levi drink out of the same bowl when they take their "breaks"...
     So for now, we are getting organized (HA!) and I sure hope to catch up on my sleep a bit tonight. Gene is in EMT and HAZMAT classes Thursday - Sunday so I'm the main "referee". Today we worked on sit and hurry...I'll really have to take her into the great room and work with her without Levi around. For the first day, we're just working on sleep and rest and wake. She loves her x-pen and doesn't fuss too much going into her kennel.
     Wish I had a picture of what I'm looking at right now. We're watching the MN Twins and CHI White Sox play, the dogs are sound asleep - one on either side of the coffee table, and the black one is on her back in that wonderful position with the tummy facing up!!  (My good camera is not working AGAIN even though Canon has "fixed" it twice. I'm really upset with them but that's another story, so I'm not getting the good pcitures I wanted to take. Thankfully we've got two other digital cameras.)  You'll just have to imagine that picture.



   Time to go to bed (me) !!
   
Herding Puppies - Oreily, Ojai, Heart and NARHA



No comments:

Post a Comment