January 23, 2011

Ladies Who Lunch

It's been an eventful week for Reily - she went to church with me last Sunday and out to lunch on Wednesday. And we weren't kicked out of either establishment.

First though, her eye is looking great after the surgery. The entropian seems to be responding to the sutures that Dr Kennard put in.  Of course the first thing she did, as I said before, was chew the "cone" and after a few nights of it, we just took it off and watched the eye. she never did scratch it or rub it so we figured the cone could stay off. Now putting the drops in the eyes was something else! She is so smart that she can recognize when we pick up the tube of ointment or the bottles of eye drops so we've got a tag team approach. Gene coerces her to him with some Charlee Bears or kibble and I hide the bottle until she is ready. And of course, she knows that if she closes her eye tightly (how do they do that) it's harder for us and maybe, just maybe, we'll give up. But now that the ointment treatment is done, it's a little easier just washing her eyes out and putting the drops in. So the eye is very clear, no discharge, etc. Hoping and praying that this will take care of the problem. She goes back to see the doctor in early March.

Now, on to church......I took her with me last Sunday and sat in the very back pew, right by the door to the narthex in case we had to leave quickly!!  She was really quite good for the first time there and laid down most of the time. I was a little worried that she might start howling when the violist played but the music seemed to be her favorite part of the service. And when we got to the "Passing of the Peace" she very politely sat up and expected everyone who came along to pet her.  What a hoot!! And when the communion plate was passed, I distracted her with a Charlee Bear and she ignored the bread.  A couple of times she tried to climb up on the pew but that got stopped quickly. Because Judy had brought Tanya (her first pup) to church a lot, most folks are used to the dogs being there and know the routine...the little kids were fascinated and some of them remembered that you have to ask to pet her. This Sunday I left her home as the choir was singing and I would not have been able to handle her, and several folks asked where she was and said "Oh, she could have sat by me!".

Linda, Oreily, Judy, Ojai
Wednesday - Gene brought Ms Reily to work about noon so I didn't have her there all day and then after I was done at 1:00, we went to Judy's to exercise the girls a bit before heading to Johnny's New Mexican Kitchen for lunch. Gene and Randy and Judy and I and the girls......again, Judy had brought Tanya there many times and they love the dogs..no problem. We got there after the lunch rush so had a nice big table in the corner and the girls just stayed under there. Anyone else who came in never knew they were there. There was a little sneaking around under the table to get closer to each other and a little restlessness, but overall i give them an 8 - maybe a 9 - had to document the whole thing with a picture outside afterwards.

We've had a quiet week otherwise with her. She has been helping Levi the Magnificent dig holes in the back yard....he (a terrier) is after the pocket gophers - has not caught one yet but the holes he digs are getting deeper. I believe there are gopher traps on order.

Right now the princess is sound asleep here in my studio and we are heading to bed soon. Tomorrow is another day. I'm thinking of joining the Concert Choir at NMHU which starts rehearsals tomorrow night. If I do, I'll be taking her to them with me at some point...once I clear it with the prof.  Taking her there will be another adventure!!

6 comments:

  1. Hello, I am very interested in this post, because I have a son, Connor Middleton, who attends NMHU and is in three of the choirs. I am not sure that he is in the Concert choir though.

    My cousins, Jo and Al Brittain, who raise CCI dogs gave me the link to your site.

    Oreilly sounds like a great companion!

    Training CCI pups is quite a noble work.

    Best Wishes,

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jan - what a small world!! I don't know all the people in concert Choir yet so not sure about Connor. I'll have to ask the guys from my church choir who also sing in CC if he is there. Do your cousins have a CCI pup now? Reily is my first and as you can tell from the blog, she's been a handful but a sweetie. going to be hard to turn her in. THanks for writing. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Linda,
    Yes, we have Ophelia IV. We co-raised our first two; she is our first "solo" raising. Check out my husband's blog: www.albrittain.com for pics.
    All the best,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jo - Is Ophelia from the July 2010 O litter? Born July 11? Oreily and Ojai are...are they sisters? Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Linda,
    Ophelia's from another "O"; born Dec.11,2009. Dad:
    Baja, Mom:Tamika (raised nearby). We'll take her back if she doesn't graduate; what about you? Will you adopt her?
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. When do you turn OPhelia in? I imagine we will take Reily if she doesn't graduate. My husband loves labs and we both love her. But of course we hope she graduates.

    ReplyDelete